As soon as freshly laid hot asphalt begins to cool, the aging process begins. From that moment on, asphalt is broken down by oil, gas, sun oxidation, salt, water penetration, and cold weather. Refer to the following tips when making decisions regarding preventative maintenance on your parking lot(s) or driveway:
- Proper attention to cracks will prevent problems from spreading and double the life of pavement. So, carefully inspect your pavement on a regular basis for cracks, fading pavement markings, and other signs of failure or liability issues.
- Fix “birdbaths” as soon as they appear. Doing this will minimize the chance of water seeping through to the base and becoming a pothole.
- Sealcoating a parking lot or driveway helps to slow pavement deterioration. So to maximize savings, seal asphalt every 24-36 months.
- Keep traffic off a newly sealed surface for 24 hours to allow for drying (curing) time.
- Singular cracks between ¼-inch wide and 1-inch are good candidates for crack sealing. On the other hand, consider crack widening or “routing” in heavy truck traffic areas.
T&K Sealing & Striping
With over 25 years experience of sealcoating, striping and asphalt pavement maintenance, from parking lots to driveways and farm roads, we are your local source for all of your asphalt paving needs.
Don’t hesitate to contact us for a competitive quote. Call 859-338-5251 today.
We are based in Central Kentucky, and will travel anywhere in Kentucky to provide sealcoating services to you.